Thursday, January 6, 2011

A diversion.

I'm derailing a little bit in this post because there's something important I need to talk about:

BOOKS!

I'm a pretty heavy reader, and I find that I've been really engrossed in a few series right now, and I wanted to share them. These first three are primarily teenage lit. I've actually been reading a bit more teen lit as of late, which is surprising, but I think that the genre has really gotten quite popular, so many new and talented authors have put their first works into it.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The one I've been reading for just a couple of days and I'm almost already through is the first book of the Hunger Games Trilogy.


I am completely blown away by how much fun this book is to read, but also how quickly I have grown to love the main character. The novel is fast-paced, well-written, and when I can't read it, I sit around wishing I COULD read it.

The book is about a young girl named Katriss who must go fight in the yearly Hunger Games, a Battle Royale-esque "only one can remain" fight to the death with 23 other teens. I am still a bit surprised by how fantastic the novel is, especially since it would be considered teen literature.

More books below the cut!



The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

A friend of mine turned me on to another teen lit book I want to read, though this one is zombie-inspired.



Titled The Forest of Hands and Teeth, this book is about a village that is protected somehow by the outside world, and from the zombies and other evil things that lurk outside. Because they've been enclosed in the village for so long, a few of the people decide to venture out. I haven't gotten started on this one yet, so I'm not sure how true my small little descriptor is. I hear this book has been optioned into a movie, but I'm definitely reading the book first!

Tempted by P.C. & Kristen Cast

I've been making my way through a somewhat goofy series called The House of Night. I'm on the fifth or sixth book now, called Tempted.



These books follow a teenager named Zoey. She has transformed into a vampyre and heads off to vampyre finishing school to learn about her new life. Along the way she stumbles into boys and evil professors. This series comes off a bit more Mary-Sueish since Zoey has all sorts of powers and all the boys want to be with her, but it's a fun aside from my regular choices.

A few series/books not in the teenage literature category are next!

Kushiel's Avatar by Jaqueline Carey

I'm currently on the third book of the Kushiel's Legacy series.


These books revolve around a sexual, yet politically-minded nation wherein a young girl named Phaedre becomes a courtesan, but also ends up changing the fate of her nation. Jacqueline Carey, the author, includes it all in her books - love, intrigue, danger, and even loss of major characters. It's not a safe and fluffy series of books.

Princep's Fury by Jim Butcher

The next series is also a bit political, but more fantasy-oriented. IT=t is called the Codex Alera.



The books follow the story of a man named Tavi, who, unlike the rest of his countryman, seems to have no Furies of his own. The Furies are elements that people can control or have affinity for. Tavi's true heritage slowly becomes clear, and it's been fun to see the way he compensates for his lack of magic with skills and cunning. I'm on the fifth book of this series.

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Like the rest of the world, I have been reading George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, though I'm only on the second book.



So far the books have followed a whole array of characters, though all of them are royal in some way or another. There is intrigue and treachery aplenty, and I find myself not sure who to root for as the good guys. People make bad decisions and don't always know how to handle the situations they get into - and that makes for some pretty awesome reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment