Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bouquets

In the past few days I've gotten excited about the prospect of bouquets. As a bride-to-be who isn't a huge fan of flowers, I've been putting my thoughts into alternate options than the traditional bouquet that will die soon after the wedding. I'm having a hard time thinking that spending a ton of money on flowers is worth it.

My search first started with the brooch bouquet. I've seen the idea mentioned in various places - WeddingBee, Offbeat Bride - and it seemed like a good one. They're unique, lovely, and fun!



Source: ruffledblog.com


The more I looked at the price of brooches, the more I realized that this was going to be a massively expensive undertaking. A bouquet needs about 60 brooches, and at 3 dollars a brooch (or so), that was adding up to be nearly 200 dollars. Not to mention what I'd make my attendants' smaller bouquets from.

So I did more research.

I came across many sellers who would do feathered bouquets, and although I thought they were pretty, they didn't feel quite me.



Image courtesy of seller Croska on Etsy.

So what should I do, I wondered. Fake flower bouquets?


Fake flowers with feathers?


Fake flowers with beads?


It was a lot of the same, and although I liked the colors, they didn't speak to me.

That was when I stumbled across a tutorial for pomander centerpieces made from ribbon. And it was perfect!






I like the whimsy and fun. They look like they'll be lightweight and easily translatable between bride/attendant sizes. Not to mention, inexpensive. The styrofoam ball is under $7, a ribbon roll is about $3 (times however many rolls/styles I choose to use), and the pins to affix the ribbon to the styrofoam are just under $4. I'm not sure what my bouquet handle will be yet, but I can't see it costing more than $5. Sow what does that come to? Under $30 for mine, and hopefully less per attendant.

I picked up the beginnings of a test Halloween-themed pomander at Joann the other day, so I'm going to see how it turns out. If I like it, I will move ahead with making my pomander bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment