Thursday, November 4, 2010

Unexpected Advice

On Monday, Dr. Light and I had the pleasure of sitting down for a test run with a caterer, The Food Guy. Instead of having generic menus with a price point, this caterer will help you come up with ideas with cost based on number of proteins in your meal. This allows them to fit the meal to a theme.

They were fantastic. We tried a very delicious salad that had vinaigrette dressing, a cut of pork that was so tender I almost thought it was beef, mashed potatoes and spinach, and a little slice of cake. I'm pretty sure that we'll end up going with them, as we had several personal visits by the owner, a very friendly rep who would help us on the wedding day, and a good overall feeling to the entire affair.

What I didn't expect, however, was the unexpected advice we got.

After we sat down in the tasting room, Dr. Light was across from our rep, a shorter woman named Brittney. We chatted for a while, and then suddenly Brittney grabbed the very tall centerpiece from the table and moved it to the floor because she couldn't see Dr. Light over its flowery stems. She said something to the effect of, "Make sure your guests can see one another."


An example of a centerpiece I think is too big!

Source

For her it was probably a throwaway comment, but it definitely made an impact on me. While browsing for various wedding ideas, I've seen my fair share of tall centerpieces - flowers, manzanita branches, candles, elaborately tiered boxes and birdcages. Sure, they've all been pretty, but it made me realize that no matter how pretty a centerpiece is, it's not doing a good job if your guests can't see each other at the table. I think it stifles conversation cross-table, or, at the very lease, causes frustration.

My goal is to have any centerpiece we choose be something that our guests can see each other over so nobody has to do the duck and weave all evening long. I'm just really glad we had that moment of unexpected advice, since I think it will definitely change how I approach our decorations. I hope to post some thoughts about mockups sooner rather than later, but right now I have plenty of time to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment